Saturday, February 09, 2013

The Journey of the US Visa

After years of trepidation about getting rejected for a US Visa, I spent exactly 512 ringgit, 5 hours waiting (in my car, at the embassy, in the traffic jam) and a total of 5 minutes face time, I am now the proud owner of a US Visa. I will have to pick it up on Wednesday. Really the whole thing is a bloody farce! I was sitting there and watching the goings on in the waiting room when an entire family trooped in (and I really mean trooped...there was like 10 or 12 of them!). I watched as the father patiently explained to lady behind the counter that this was the second time they were applying because they'd already been rejected once. Then I found myself chatting to a nice old gentleman about the fact that it's his third application. I can't imagine anything in America worth safeguarding so ferociously nor can I understand the desperation of these people to want to go there. Forbidden fruit I suppose. I mean the mad I was chatting with had like a bushel of supporting documents. I had nothing! I refused to take anything with me. My mother says I was very lucky. Considering I didn't even want to go on this blasted family holiday in the first damn place, I am not so sure!
This is my life!
Just Me!

No comments: